Saturday, March 5, 2011

Ancient Aliens and the guy in the Douglas MacArthur Hat

Why is this on the History Channel? I really like the History Channel when they're doing shows called The Universe or How the Earth Was Created, not in seven days. I liked the one they did about Ben Franklin and they had an interesting one about the plague. And of course I am a sucker for Pawn Stars and American Pickers. My friends say I'm weird. I don't care.

The History Channel also has on its schedule the show Ancient Aliens. Basically, the show's premise is that all throughout history aliens from other planets have been visiting us on a regular basis. Their experts are mostly guys in Members Only jackets. They are usually retired military or wish they were, as indicated by the fact that they're wearing some kind of military baseball hat, mostly for a naval vessel or for the Air Force.  One guy looked like he had a "Douglas MacArthur" hat on.

Really?

You're that much of a war nerd you go out and get yourself a "Douglas MacArthur" hat?  I just googled "Douglass MacArthur Hat" and couldn't find one site, other than Cafe Press, that sold a "Douglas MacArthur" hat.  They were not the hat the man on the Ancient Aliens show had.  Bingo.  I think the guy got it at the MacArthur Memorial Museum in Norfolk, Virginia.  Someone just added another item to their bucket list.

It seems that a lot of the Ancient Alien experts are people who are doctors of the Ph.D variety but never list what their Ph.D is for.  They most likely are pulling a Dr. Laura on the world.  These Ph.Ds that have "theories" that aliens have been part of nearly every catastrophe in human history.  And the Aliens are using war to stop the growth of the human population.  Apparently, may skeptics don't buy into this "theory" but they do agree that during war time, the number of UFO sightings increase.  In Vietnam, American soldiers were plagued by all these UFO sightings.  Weren't they doing a lot of drugs?  Not hatin' on them, just asking the question.

One UFO investigators on this show talks about Hitler and the Nazis were hugely influenced by UFOs.

Nonsense on top of nonsense.

I've recently discovered Dan Carlin's Hardcore History podcast. I have only listened to a couple of his episodes.  They are quite brilliant and over my head.  I have to really pay attention to make sure I catch everything.  I'm a bigger fan of his Common Sense podcasts, where he puts the same level of thought into a discussion of current events.  I would really love to have him look into these crazy pseudo-science/history shows and give his perspective of it.  As I already wrote, I think it's nonsense.  But it would be a lot of fun to hear him tear Ancient Aliens apart.

What I'm getting at is that I really would like my History Channel to give me History.  I don't want Alien shows.  I don't want to learn about Nostradamus.  I don't want that Brad Metzger, the poor man's Dan Brown, trying to find out where John Wilkes Booth lived out his life when real historians tell us he died soon after he shot Lincoln. I want real history.

I want real history because I have retired parents who, when they are not watching Glenn Beck on FOX, are watching shows about Nostradamus and the Ancient Aliens shows.  And they believe what they're hearing because these shows are on the History Channel.  I've almost given up trying to straighten them out, or at least get them to be skeptical.  It doesn't always work and that's why I beg of you:  

History Channel give me back my history!

No comments:

Post a Comment