Thursday, March 24, 2011

AMC Killed the Moviewatcher Program


I loved the Moviewatcher Program at AMC.  And this is why I was really kind of pissed last night when I went to see Limitless and my Moviewatcher card didn't work and they were instead asking for something called the Movie Stub card.  I went up to customer service and the nice girl told me that for a dollar a month Movie Stub was actually a better deal.  I was too pissed to process this.  I told her that the main reason I came to AMC was the Moviewatcher Program, like my protests would suddenly bring it back to life.  Like some pre-programed corporate automaton she just kept repeating that Movie Stub was replacing Moviewatcher and it was better because at some point I got 10 bucks.  I can't remember when that would have been and I didn't care.

As you can see from the above picture, I've had my card since the beginning of time.  Actually, it was more like 2001.  The Moviewatcher Program was great because for every movie you went to you received 2 points. Then for every ten points you would receive a small popcorn or a soda or a movie and then at 100 points you would get a free night at the movies with a popcorn, soda and free movie ticket.


If you were a Moviewatcher member you got a free small popcorn on Wednesdays, which you could then upgrade to a medium or large.  And if you couldn't make it on Wednesday, they would send out emails where you could print up a coupon for a free small, upgradeable popcorn.  I loved it.  It was even better when I donated blood because I would get two free AMC Movie Passes that I would use on Wednesday and get my free popcorn and buy a soda and spend like 4.25 for the whole night out.

I know.  You think I'm cheaper than those bastard Republicans.

Over the course of the almost ten years I was a member I received 442 points, or 221 movies.  I go to a lot of movies and not all of them at AMC but I still was seeing at least 20 movies a year at AMC, mostly because of the Moviewatcher Program.  The first Moviewatcher Movie I saw was Bandits with Billy Bob Thorton and Bruce Willis.  I saw it on October 14th, 2001 and can only remember a joke about juice boxes.  I don't remember the joke, but I remember there was a joke and because I remember it the joke must have been funny.  The rest of the film, not so much.

It turns out the last Moviewatcher film I saw was Battle: Los Angeles, which I reviewed here.

I was going to add more movies from my Moviewatcher history but as I type this the site suddenly went down.  I am sad.  Fuck you AMC.

Les

P.S. I've been outlining a novel so I haven't been keeping up with my posts.  I will have a review of Limitless either today or tomorrow.  Thanks for your patients, all 3 of you. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment